Personally, I am so sick of these lists. Mostly because I think half of them are a stretch, and also because they’re not funny or clever. So I’m going to break down a few, some I absolutely despise, and some I don’t mind as much.
- You’ve never actually been on a Duck Boat tour. I have, and guess what? I enjoyed it. Same with the Swan Boats when I was a kid. Feeding swans and shit when you’re 5 years old makes you feel like a boss.
- Bostonians’ driving skills are second to none. Of course we each think we are great drivers, but I’ll tell ya, Boston has some of the worst drivers. Cutting people off? That’s how accidents happen! I know from experience. And chances are I hate you, if you don’t use your blinker.
- You have no use for the letter “R” at the end of words. I get it, but like I wrote the other day, it’s not every word that ends in “R”. I will say though, some people add it to the ends of words where it doesn’t belong. And they don’t even know they’re doing it. My brother does this on words like “idea” and “area”. Kinda funny.
- It’s a bubbler, not a drinking fountain. Got no problem with this one. I certainly call them bubblers, but would also call one a fountain if I felt like it.
- 8 inches of snow is nothing! Just a dusting, huh? Nope, I’m calling that a snowstorm. Get off your high horse.
- You’ve called something “wicked pissah”. No I have not, and I never will. There are only two people I know who have used the word “pissah” and meant it. Those two get a pass only because they’ve lived here their whole lives and I know for a fact that they still think it’s okay to use that word. To be honest though, I don’t even know what it means or how it would be used.
- Only people from outside of Boston call it Beantown. And everyone from Boston will let you know about it if you say it in their presence. Easily my least favorite one included on these lists. I have, and will continue to call it Beantown. I’m not doing it all the time, I’d much rather say Boston or Dorchester, but I just don’t get what people could really feel so strongly against Beantown.
I’m sure there are more that I dislike about these lists, but I’d say the 7 mentioned are certainly at the top. How about you though? Do you hate these lists like me or do you love them like a loser? Let me know what you think!
I’m not sure if people really feel that strongly about “Beantown” but it is true that people rarely use it around here.
It’s also true that it’s a garbage nickname.
I don’t oppose the nickname. But nearly every list I read says something about how only outsiders call it that and you should never say it in Boston